I’m not going to even attempt a proclamation that I’ve found the best food spots in New York because let’s be honest – a city as like New York City is changing every day. It’s the city where everyone is trying to make it. The intensity in competition also inspires some of the best food you’ll ever have in your life.
Here are my Top 5 New York classic food spots:
- Dominique Ansel Bakery – my New York apartment was on the same block as Ansel’s bakery in SoHo. I didn’t know that to be true until I woke up nice and early to start day one of my NYC adventure and found there was a line of people around the corner, and around the corner after that, and the one after that and…it went on forever! Ah the infamous cronut – I did line up in my Pyjamas at 6am for two hours to get my hands on a cronut by Dominique (they sold out in 3 minutes that day which I hear is a minute longer than usual) and I must say they were great but what really had me raving about this little bakery was the fresh made-to-order Madelines that I had for afternoon tea the next day. I sat in my sunny SoHo apartment, devouring these soft pillow textured delights and I thought to myself – what a wonderful world.
2. Katz Deli – a classic! You can’t go wrong with a Pastrami sandwich from Katz, extra pickles please!
3. Spice Market @ Meat Packing District – The meat packing district is famous for edgy food done well. And boy did it deliver! Never has Indian Fusion been done so well! I was very impressed with the flavours of the fish steamed buns with tomato kasundi
4. Los Tacos No1 @ Chelsea Market – I went to Chelsea market to try a little bit of everything which meant I had to limit my intake at each establishment. As soon as I tasted the the adobada pork taco all limitations flew out the window! I ate nine of these taco’s in one sitting then went back for more on my last day – to bring light to what may sound like excessive insanity, the exact same taco was also recently named New York’s number 1 taco!
5. Momofuku – went there for the cereal milk soft-serve, fell in love with the pork buns. Both a must have!